Monday, May 23, 2011

An Elegy for my Grandmother

An Elegy for my Grandmother
Mark James Santos Evangelista

As I sat along this creek,
I can still recall that very first day…
When my memory started to remember
I saw a rainbow across the field
You held my hand
Tight …
So that I may not slip on the paddies

Hush…
Maria capras soaring above…
And the tagaks fleeting among the stalks of palay.
Yes, the rainy season is approaching
And the rice field is on its bloom.

I brought today a bunch of flowers,
Gumamelas, rosal, sampaguita and santal…
Still my heart aches, I cannot accept the fact.

Your hands were rough,
Yet, your touch soothes my headache.
Your Eyes looked so tired,
Yet, they speak by themselves.
Your hair were not gentle,
Yet, for me they are strings of silver.
Your forehead, full of creases,
Yet, it reminds me of your sweet kisses.

As you pass along the valley of silence.
Take this with you, a song of gladness,
May the angels sing happy melodies
And cheers of laughter
And with you my prayers
Will go…yonder

I have no power to make you stay…
Nor a fairy’s wish… to make time framed
But your memories, I will always carry
Not on my pocket,
Not on my shoulder,
But on my heart that burns with love…

My Lola, rest peacefully
Let the stars be your light
Let the moonbeams mesmerize you
Let the sunlight warm you
Let the rain drain the sadness
Let the birds guard you

As I leave your sepulcher
And leave these flowers, so sweet, so tender…
I will always remember, that very first day,
When my memory started to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment