Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MY VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN MONGOLIA PART 5: FARMING by markolakwatsero


MY  VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN MONGOLIA
PART 5: FARMING
by markolakwatsero


The last two days was spent on Fr. Lee’s farm where we helped him tending his vitamin tree plantation by pulling the weeds along the area. His help is highly appreciated as he helped us a lot during the 11 day international volunteer. As the sole Filipino student at this camp, I feel very privileged for this once in a lifetime opportunity given to me by Fr. Melanio Jeong. I know that he really worked a lot for the success of this yearly activity. Fr. Jeong is like my father; I cannot imagine my life here in the University without his help and support in so many facets of my student life here at the Land of the morning calm. This International Volunteer helped me to gain more insight about the Korean culture and society as well as the Mongolian way of life. It was the first time for me to be within the close knit of Korean students for almost half a month. I think I did improve my Korean speaking skills as I try to converse to them in Korean. They also shared so many inspiring and cool experiences to me which I will forever remember.
At this juncture, I would like to share the poem that I wrote in Mongolia. This is lovingly dedicated to all my CUK Family whom I will miss so much once I go back home.

AS I WAIT THE SUN SET
Mark James Santos Evangelista

Sparks of crimson
Shattering blue
Right across my eye
The sun begins to loom
And along the steppe
Valleys and plateau;
All I see is darkness
That speaks to me of gloom

The cool Mongol breeze
Reminiscent of winter air
Engulfed all my dreams
As I try to reach in despair
Yet, the shivering night
Cascades to a sight
A scene so meek and gentle
So sweet; so serene

And then abruptly
A harsh billowing smoke
Covered the heavens
Dimming my reveries and compassion
Let alone my thoughts
Let alone my cares
Bring you near to me
As I wait the sun set.

No comments:

Post a Comment