Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MY VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN MONGOLIA PART 1: THE DREAM by markolakwatsero


MY  VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN MONGOLIA
PART 1: THE DREAM
by markolakwatsero

First of all, I want to thank the Catholic University of Korea headed by Rev. Fr. Johann Yeong- Sihk Pahk, S.S.D. for funding this annual international volunteer program which for seven consecutive years now is being held in Mongolia. This activity fosters camaraderie and better friendships between the three campuses of CUK; Songsim (Arts and Sciences), Songsin (Theology and Central Seminary) and Songui (Medical and Nursing) as it enables the students to commune with each other and share ones efforts and energy for the betterment of the society. 

Now on its 11th year, this program already benefitted thousands of individuals in Mongolia. Of course this program will not be possible without the help of ACE Program, the Sacred Heart Chapel and various student organizations in the three distinct campuses.
It was last year, when I applied for this program. Fr. Melanio Jeong, the CUK Chaplain, explained to me that it was primarily designed to facilitate undergraduate students as a way to expose them to social works thus inculcating the values of service and love which the University stands for. Still, he told me to be hopeful as he was planning to include foreign students for the 2011 Volunteer team. Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring came…I did not notice how time flies as I was so busy with my academic loads and other activities outside the campus. One cloudy morning while I was having my U.S Foreign Policy class, I got a message, saying:

“If Mark wants to join in the Mongolian Volunteer group, he must visit the Chapel Office right now and bring his passport…”
“Whoa!!!” it was in the middle of a heated discussion when my mind started to travel from my classroom to the Gers (Mongolian tents) and Gobi Dessert. Without any hesitation, I excused myself in the class and went hurriedly to my room. I grabbed my passport and gave it to the Team leader. I also thanked Father Melanio for his very surprising news. The training and meetings started right after the end of the Spring Semester and this strengthened the bond between the Social Volunteers comprising of 29 students from Songsim, 2 from Songsin and 7 from Songui. The weekly gathering was filled with chats and laughter amidst the hammering and ricketing sound of wood, nails and the mellow music of recorders and samulnori.

No comments:

Post a Comment