Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MY VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN MONGOLIA PART 2: The Dream Realized

MY VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN MONGOLIA

PART 2: The Dream Realized

Mark James Santos Evangelista


With Prof. Rowena Misayah

I took KE867 bound to Ulaanbaatar with the Medical Team. While waiting for my flight I met two Filipinos bound to the Philippines for half a month. She was a Biology Professor from Richard Daly College in Chicago.


At the plane, my seatmate was a Filipino Engineer in Mongolia and he told me the status of many Pinoy workers in Ulaanbaatar.

My boarding Pass

Every Korean Air Economy class has its own entertainment system :)

A heart seafood dinner for me and Brianna

Welcome to Mongolia! A signage that will welcome you after you pass the Immigration Counters

passengers waiting for their baggage

The Chinggis Khaan International Airport

From above, the dark clouds cover the dimly lit Mongolian capital. Upon arrival at the airport, I was given a very warm hug by Fr. Melanio, Team leader, Choo Soo Seok and Fr. Michael Park. The city was far different from what I expected; it has no high rise buildings or apartments but it was filled with gers, factories billowing black smoke and wooden fences. Much more, the highway was not even cemented and lamp post was hard to find. We first headed to a church convent where the Medical team will be staying for the entire duration of the program; we brought some medicines that were brought by the social volunteers. It was around 2:00 AM when we arrived at Bayanhersha after a rollercoaster ride uphill. Fr. Michael brought me to my room; after a short prayer, I fell asleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment